Sunday, September 1, 2013

My Daughter's Future Husband

I haven't been to this blog in so long that I almost forgot the actual name and password. I don't really consider myself a "blogger" anyways. This is more of an online journal for me. I enjoy looking back at my words (thoughts), and hope that one day my children might find comfort and peace in some of the words I left here for them.

For some reason, today I thought about this blog, and thought about something important that I want my daughter to know. I want her to know that I do pray for her future husband. Of course, I do the same for my son's future wife, but there is something about my daughter that makes me feel in some ways more obligated to teach her what to expect in a man. My daughter is 13 and not dating yet, and we actually LOVE it this way! Marriage seems so far off with all the other plans and opportunities she has before her. However, I am pretty sure it will happen one day, and when the search begins, I want her to know exactly what to steer clear of and what to latch onto.

Today we had some of our church friends over for a small group study. We are a group of five married couples who meet to study the Bible and other important topics to our shared faith. Today's study led us to the topic of prayer. One of the other members of our group shared a story about a friend who had heard his mom praying for his future wife while he was still young and living at home, and what an impact that had on him. It made me wonder if my kids know that I pray for all aspects of their lives, including the unknown aspects such as who their future spouses will be. I'm really not sure that they do.

Later in the group discussion, I shared a few memorable prayer moments in my life. One of these moments occurred almost four years ago with Stephen, my husband. Stephen and I had only been dating 3 or 4 weeks at that point, and had went to Sunday service at a local church called The Well. We were alone that Sunday as the kids were with their dad. We were in the very early stages of developing our relationship, and in fact, Stephen had only met the kids the week prior. While we were both falling fast and hard for one another, we were very aware of the delicate nature of our relationship as two divorcees potentially entertaining the idea of new love and possibly remarriage. This was especially delicate given the essential consideration for my two children.

The service that day was a good one! The sermon was encouraging, and the music was uplifting. Plus it was so cool for me to actually be on a DATE at church! After church, we were in my car preparing to leave for the next events of our day (probably lunch and shopping) when Stephen turned to me out of the blue and asked, "Shannon, can I pray for us real fast?" I of course muttered a surprised "yes." There we were in the middle of the parking lot, heads bowed together over the center console, holding hands, Stephen saying a short prayer. I don't remember it word for word, but I do remember that his request was simple but oh so important. He asked God to BE in our relationship, and to guide us both as we were developing strong feelings for one another, and to remind us of the importance of those feelings and decisions, and for God to teach HIM to be the kind of man who could bless me AND Ashley and Ethan if that was what God was calling him to do. When he ended the prayer we sat there in a holding/hugging position both chocking on tears, and the only thing I could think to say was "Thank You." I knew then and there that this man was a keeper, and I also knew that there was potential for something way beyond my understanding to happen. As the months progressed, it did indeed happen. God did provide a way for us and blessed us with a beautiful marriage and "remarried/blended" family.

I will continue to pray for my daughter's future husband (Ethan's future wife too). Maybe, just maybe, someone is training that boy to be that kind of man. Maybe he will grow up to be a man of strong character who knows that life is best when there is recognition and dependence upon a loving God. And maybe my girl will wait for this boy, and snatch him up when she recognizes this kind of goodness and strength. This is my prayer for you sweet daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment