Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Justice

Have you noticed that as humans we are so eager to see justice done? Last week while subbing in a second grade class I saw this human desire for justice magnified. It seemed like every time I tried to transition or snatch a teachable moment, some little person was verbally demanding that I impose justice on a fellow classmate for offenses as trivial as taking too many rubber bands at the geoboard station, cutting in line, and copying another's work. These little irate tattle-tellers were wronged, they wanted me to know it, and they hoped there would be swift justice for the perpetrator.

I realized today that I am really no different than those second graders. My experience with injustice is a bit more involved, painful, and life-altering, and although some might say I have every reason to get just as wound up as an obnoxious, tattling second-grader, I hope I do not.

A particular injustice in my life seems to be resurfacing and rearing its ugly head far more often than I would like. It involves an injustice of lies and betrayal that is undeniably painful. Although I have tried to move past it and separate myself from it, it is still there. Just when I think forgiveness has truly taken hold, an event occurs reminding me of the injustice. It just doesn't seem right when those in the wrong seem to "get away with it." 

However, like I said above, I don't want to be like those tattling second graders seeking justice at all cause. Most importantly my faith calls me to try to live at peace with all men (Romans 12:17-19). This passage reminds me that I am supposed to strive for peace and not attempt to repay evil with evil. More importantly this scripture reminds me that revenge is not my responsibility, and that God is the avenger. Secondly, I must remain aware of how my desire for swift justice could have negative and lasting effects for innocent others. Using the classroom example, when a student interrupts instruction insisting on outing the accused, others lose out. They lose out on learning, but also they lose out on peace and harmony. Maintaining peace and harmony for those I love is so very important to me, so I must not let my human desire to "tattle" supersede this.

I don't know. This whole things is SO much easier said than done, but when I am alone and sometimes fuming about the ways in which I have been wronged, I pray. I pray for clarity and guidance and peace of heart and mind. Today when I did this the thought popped into my head that perhaps justice HAS been served. Perhaps God's justice didn't come in the form of punishing the wrong-doer (just yet anyways), but in blessing me beyond my wildest dreams. True joy, a healthy relationship, support, respect, strength, self-assurance, hope, love, purpose, salvation...how's that for justice?!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Shannon! Thanks for sharing your life journey and lessons with us. We could all use this lesson about "justice." Putting into the hands of God is the best place it could be but not always the easiest thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think of justice I am so grateful that God doesn't give me justice. I am so grateful He chose grace instead. It is also a constant reminder of how far from His character we humans are. The call for justice is human, the call for grace is divine. I'm pleased to see my daughter leaning in the direction of the divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post, Shannon. I agree that it is difficult to not attempt to repay evil with evil and YES, you have been blessed in so many wonderful ways. xo Robyn

    ReplyDelete